Salary range: $120K to $140K, depending on experience
Plant Controller, Templeton Rye Distilling
WHO IS TEMPLETON DISTILLERY?
With over 100 years of history in Templeton, Iowa, our story is one of true authenticity and built on the shared experiences of our community. The roots of Templeton Distillery can be traced back along family lines to the bootleggers of Prohibition. Today, we’re following in the footsteps of our forefathers and crafting a whiskey in their tradition.
A whiskey that respects the past yet is inspired by the future, Templeton Distillery captures the essence of a small town with a strong spirit. We see every bottle as an opportunity to share our whiskey way of life.
COME WORK WITH US
We’ve recommitted ourselves to our hometown with the opening of our expanded state-of-the-art distillery in 2018 with plans to bring all aspects of distillation and aging in-house. This innovative production facility not only creates the opportunity for more jobs and local agriculture, but for enhanced quality control across all of our whiskeys, whether it’s our flagship 6-year rye or innovation products such as our cask series.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
ABOUT THE JOB
Templeton Distillery has earned a reputation as a leader in high-quality rye whiskey. At Templeton Distillery, the Controller is considered a senior leader and responsible for managing and leading the financial and accounting areas of the distillery. Culture is important to us and we are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about jumping in and assuming a broad range of responsibilities.
The Controller will be responsible for the areas of accounting, financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, and performance management analysis. They will undertake all aspects of financial management, including but not limited to accounting, AP/AR, cost accounting, purchasing management, regulatory and financial reporting, analysis, budget, long-term forecasting, ROI, capital planning, and cash flow preparation.
· Plan, direct, and coordinate all accounting operational functions
· Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results
· Lead the preparation of internal and external financial statements, and government filings with the TTB, and managing cash flow
· Accountable for the financial results to senior management, internal and external auditors
· Provide management with information vital to the decision-making process
· Drive the annual budget process and provide periodic updates to the budget, including annual risk management/ insurance planning covering benefit plans and property & casualty
· Assess current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
· Champions cost reduction and continuous process improvement initiatives to maximize the distillery’s performance
· Develop, implement, and maintain accounting and internal control systems and look for ways to automate systems and processes
· Evaluate the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed.
· Develop and monitor business performance metrics
· Oversee regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
· Hire, train, and retain skilled accounting staff
AM I THE RIGHT FIT?
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
· CPA, Master’s in Accounting or MBA preferred
· At least 10 years of experience in accounting/finance with at least 5 years of job-specific work experience which includes exposure to manufacturing operations and business analysis and will have demonstrated strength in analysis, planning and forecasting
· Experience with manufacturing and standard cost accounting preferred
· Knowledge of ERP systems including prior experience in a system automation – examples include AP automation, reviewing the chart of accounts, moving from QuickBooks to a cloud ERP
· A working knowledge of standard business tools such as: Excel, PowerPoint, and Word is required while QuickBooks and Microsoft Business Central and a plus
· Ability to work in a private, family-owned matrix organizational environment that involves different business units, multiple legal entities, and time zones
· You have the ability to understand the plant and business activities with a broader view than just the finance function
· Excellent oral, written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills; ability to effectively exercise tact, discretion, judgement and diplomacy when interacting and/or negotiating with internal and external customers, and senior management
· Ability to act as a managerial advisor on professional and technical issues with a view towards reaching strategic decisions
· We work-hard and play-hard — we truly believe that where you where you work matters and at Templeton Distillery we offer a competitive benefits package for all employees
· Must be willing to work on-site full-time at our distillery in Templeton; this is not a remote job
· This position is primarily in an office environment
· Required on occasion to walk the distillery floor
· This position involves working with alcoholic beverages and working in environments where alcoholic beverages are served and consumed