Please contact Angela Carrodeguas, HR Director, for more information or to apply:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 305-301-9166
Job Title: Master Blender
Compensation Type: Salaried Exempt
Direct Report: Chief Executive Officer
Job Summary: The role of our Master Blender is a new addition to our leadership during an exciting time at Three Notch’d. The Master Blender will oversee the creation, development, administration and launch of the Three Notch’d Distilling Co. Your day to day will include sourcing the best ingredients, blending bourbon batches for year-round and limited release items and quality control. As the face of Three Notch’d Distilling Co. you will play an important role for our Three Notch’d Distilling Club members, both creating and hosting special release events throughout the year. In addition, you’ll work collaboratively with Marketing, Finance and Retail leadership to create marketing, business and merchandising plans to grow our distillery business.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
- The Master Blender oversees every aspect of evaluating bourbon spirits and choosing the best combination of spirits to achieve premium blends for year-round or limited release.
- Refine the production process to deliver consistency and scalability as the brand grows.
- Maintain detailed administrative records of the blending process to ensure the product meets quality guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and administrative requirements set by Virginia ABC and TTB.
- Manage the bottling process collaboratively with our brewing and logistics teams.
- Educate our retail teams on Three Notch’d Distilling Co. to ensure they are properly trained to sell our bourbon year-round and limited releases.
- Collaborate with retail leaders and marketing on our spirits program including flights, tasters, memberships and craft cocktail across locations.
- Serve as a public figure for Three Notch’d Distilling Co. interfacing with customers, retailers, media and influencers at events promoting the brand.
- Collaborate with Merch and Retail teams to display and store spirits across Three Notch’d locations.
Other duties as assigned.
Supervising: This position currently has no supervision requirement. As the brand is developed, this position will potentially manage additional Three Notch’d Distilling Co. employees.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in the distilled spirits industry.
- Technical degree in distilling, chemistry, biology, food science or microbiology.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with customers, suppliers, stakeholders and in the media.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a quality product.
- Strong hands on experience and understanding of the distilled spirits production process, from distillation through maturation, filtration and bottling; an understanding of sensory impacts for Bourbon preferred.
- Expert tasting palette with ability to recognize and describe off quality defects in matured spirits.
- Successful completion of objective sensory acuity screening, including the identification of critical flavor defects in distilled spirits.
- Ability to work independently in leading plan development and execution of short and long-term tasks.
- Ability to develop strong cross functional relationships with retail operations, marketing, sourcing, finance, etc. to drive strong collaboration and results.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Strong working knowledge of lab operating procedures and quality control experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including timely follow-up and commitment to deliverables, and openness to give and receive feedback.
- Must be able to consume limited quantities of alcoholic beverage samples in accordance with evaluation/research needs.
- Self-starter, flexible, comfortable working in unstructured face-paced environment, able to manage multiple priorities effortlessly.
- Team player with collaborative style and strong listening and partnering skills.
- Physically fit for work primarily in a lab, pilot plant and manufacturing environments, which includes long periods of standing, moving, and carrying or lifting up-to 50 pounds
- Professional certification demonstrating expertise in bourbon and/or whiskey
- Office Environment
- Warehouse environment. Ability to work in extreme cold, extreme heat, temperature changes.
- Industrial noises.
- Travel will be required to visit our retail locations, attend events to promote the brand, and sourcing for the development of Three Notch’d Distillery products (>30-40% mostly within the state of VA)
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds frequently.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, grasp, handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, and perform repetitive motions of the hands and/or wrists.
Three Notch’d Brewing Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.