Bourbon Women is thrilled to announce the winners of the inaugural WOW (Women of Whiskey) Awards, presented in collaboration with the Bourbon Women Foundation. The awards were presented at a ceremony during the Bourbon Women SIPosium on Friday, August 25, 2023.
The WOW Awards recognize exceptional women leaders who have made indelible marks in the whiskey industry. As a pioneer in supporting female bourbon enthusiasts, Bourbon Women is the first female whiskey consumer group in the nation and takes immense pride in presenting the WOW Awards, reinforcing a commitment to honoring the achievements of women in spirits.
After a rigorous selection process, Bourbon Women is proud to present the winners of each of the 2023 award categories:
- Legacy Achievement Award: Rebecca Harris (Founder, Chief Distiller, Catoctin Creek Distilling Co.)
- Master Distiller/Production Manager of the Year: Alex Castle (Master Distiller and Senior Vice President, Old Dominick)
- Master Blender of the Year: Heather Greene (Master Distiller, Founder and CEO, Milam & Greene Whiskey)
- Brand Ambassador of the Year: Angel Teta (National Guardian of Advocacy & Brand Culture, Angel’s Envy)
- Woman-Owned Brand of the Year: Heaven Hill Brands
- Bartender of the Year: Tiffanie Barriere (The Drinking Coach)
- Spirits Influencer/Podcaster of the Year: Sara Ahlgrim (It’s Bourbon Night
- Spirits Writer of the Year: Pheobe Calver (Editor, American Whiskey Magazine)
- Spirits-Diversity Program of the Year: Beam Suntory
- Mike Keyes Champion/Ally of the Year: Emma Hutchens (Chief of Human Resources, Heaven Hill Brands)
Finalists were nominated by their companies, their peers, and their communities as they have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to excellence in their craft, making invaluable contributions to the whiskey industry. They embody the essence of innovation and dedication that inspires and uplifts others in the field.
Heather Wibbels, Managing Director of Bourbon Women, said, “We are absolutely thrilled to celebrate the leadership and change that these individuals are bringing to the whiskey industry and the innovation and passion they share. Collectively, they represent a groundswell of change in the whiskey world and we are proud to uplift and celebrate the phenomenal women who do that work every day”.
During the event, the Kentucky Distillers Association also presented the long-standing Lois Mateus Award Networking Award to recognize the importance of connection and networking in the industry to Sara Osborne of MML&K Government Solutions.
The Bourbon Women team extends its heartfelt congratulations to all the finalists for their remarkable achievements. The WOW Awards continue to build on Bourbon Women’s commitment to empowering and celebrating the achievements of women in the industry.